Thursday, June 18, 2009

Anise Biscotti

Photobucket

Have any of you ever had Stella D'oro anisette sponge biscotto?? We grew up eating those since we can remember! We just started eating them again recently and remembered why we loved these so much! Wanna know what's even better? They only have 90 calories for 2 cookies!! =)

We wanted to see if we could come up with something similar to those cookies on our own. After giving it a few times and changing things, we finally got a recipe that we liked! They weren't exactly the same as the Stella D'oro ones, BUT these are definitely a keeper! They are nice and crunchy on the outside and the inside is nice and spongy. Also, we love anything that has anice in it. Not everbody is crazy about that flavor but we are fans of it!

If you want a simple biscotti recipe that is simple and fast and is perfect for breakfast with a cup of coffee or tea or even for a midday\late night snack definitely try these!!

INGREDIENTS
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 1 tablespoon baking powder 1 pinch salt 6 eggs 1 cup white sugar 6 tablespoons vegetable oil 2 teaspoons anise extract
DIRECTIONS Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, stir together the flour and baking powder; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs until they are light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and beat for about 3 minutes. Stir in the oil and anise extract. Fold in the dry ingredients until well blended. Spread the mixture into a 9x13 inch pan that is sprayed with PAM and bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven. When the pan cools slightly, cut into 18 pieces. Think 3 columns with 6 rows! =) Place slices onto a cookie sheet and return to the oven long enough to brown on each side, like toast. Store in a tightly covered container.
Photobucket

13 comments:

Shari said...

I love Biscotti! These look just great. I made them using Dorie Greenspan's recipe for Tuesdays with Dorie a while ago. I baked them in coin wrappers (see my blog if interested!) Yours look lovely and spongy on the inside. YUM!!

therealchiffonade said...

The Biscotti sounds wonderful. Even though I am a PROFESSIONAL CHEF who graduated from Peter Kump's Culinary Institute in Brooklyn, I am going to offer this dish in my world-famous restaurant in Colorado.

It is called the International Palate (My mother Aida named it), and people from all over the world come to Colorado to try my wonderful cuisine.

Thanks for the idea.

Ramya Kiran said...

These Biscotti's look damn inviting!! Perfectly baked. Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

Oh, my mother would love these! She is a fan of anise as well. I'll make them the next time she visits. Thanks!

I found you on TasteSpotting and am writing to say that if you have any photos that aren’t accepted there, I’d love to publish them. Visit my new site (below), it’s a lot of fun! I hope you will consider it.

Best,
Casey
Editor
www.tastestopping.wordpress.com

Healthy Diaries said...

Wow,
Thanks everyone for all your comments. It's very rewarding when you put a lot into a food blog and people get use out of it! We're glad everyone was interested in these cookies! They are really simple and good!

Stay tuned for more coming recipes!

Anonymous said...

I will have to try this recipe. I love biscotti and tried lots of combinations so far but this one seems intriguing.

Cakespy said...

I love biscotti too, and the texture on these ones look absolutely tantalizing. They look amazing!

Healthy Diaries said...

- Andaoana, we think you should give these a try! You will love them! =) They are so simple and fast!

- Cakespy, thanks! The texture of these biscotti is really the best! Give them a try!

Anonymous said...

Bongiorno, ladies. Unfortunately your blog has been "trolled" and the person above who claims to be Chiffonade is an impostor. First of all, I'm also Italian. My dad was born in Napoli. Second, I would never disrespect another foodie - it's not my way and it's not what foodies are about. The person who trolled your blog fancies himself to be quite witty but he has a looooong way to go. If you're interested in seeing some of his other "handiwork" please google, "docchuck, chiffonade" or "docchuck,louise brescia" as he is now fond of posting my real name. You'll find pages of his insane ramblings. He's been arrested and convicted of this sort of thing in the past.

BTW, your biscotti picture is making me hungry! I make Triple Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti which I submitted to the St. Pete Times and were included in their special Christmas Cookie edition when I lived in Clearwater - see this link:

http://www.tampabay.com/features/article894613.ece

Please excuse the moron above - he will never be Chiffonade, no matter how hard he tries. If you'd like, friend me on Facebook - there is no such thing as too many foodie friends, especially Paesani!

Ciao,
Chiffonade

Emm said...

Deeeelicious!! Just what I was looking for! I so miss the Stella Dora cookies and this is a very close imitation. Mine stayed in the oven longer since I wanted them crunchy with no soft center. You have no idea how long I've searched for a biscotti recipe that was crunchy and not hard - I'm not a dunker. I don't care if this isn't an authentic biscotti recipe, it's perfect for me!!

Healthy Diaries said...

Emm- We are SO happy that you tried this recipe and loved it! We actually haven't made these in a while so now we have a craving for them! We forgot how simple and yummy they were!

Dave Nelson said...

This type of biscotti has been passed down the generations in my family for at least 100 years. The only significant difference is the use of Anise oil instead of Anise Extract. The same amount of oil will produce a very strongly flavored anise cookie whereas the extract really only suggests anise.

Also, the type of knife you use to cut them up makes a big difference: We use the wrong side of a butter knife and bludgeon our way along the cake; It's not as pretty but the lumps that form in the fresh cake will harden when the cookie is toasted and the resulting nodules produce an intense flavor burst when eaten.

1257l tax code said...

nice post thanks for update